This release of LightCMS brings you two new important feature enhancements: a new source editor and a new method of assigning roles to pages. Keep reading to learn more about these exciting new features.
New Source Editor
The old source editor enabled you to edit design files on your site, but it was utilitarian in nature and limited on the features it offered. The new source editor takes editing the files directly on your site to an entirely new level! With its user-friendly and responsive user interface, the new source editor gives you an environment more closely related to what you would find in your favorite code editor. The source editor also gives you several features that were unavailable in the old editor, including:
- A full screen editing window
- Syntax highlighting
- Display preferences such as dark editor, line wrap, show gutter, and show invisibles
- Expand/Collapse template files list
Access the Source Editor
To access the source editor, select Design on the admin menu. Locate the template you want to edit, and then mouse over the template thumbnail. Click the options menu, in the upper right corner and select Edit Source.
Source Editor Display Options
The new source editor gives you several options that were unavailable with the previous source editor. To set the source editor options, click the options button in the bottom left corner of the screen.
To change an option, click the button next to the option to toggle the option on or off. Source editor display options include:
- Dark Editor--Select this option to use the editor with a dark background and light colored font, instead of a light background with dark colored font.
- Line Wrap--Select this option to turn line wrap on.
- Show Invisibles--Select this option to display invisible characters such as tabs and spaces.
- Show Gutter--Select this option to display the gutter. The gutter shows the line numbers and the expand/collapse button for parent-level tags.
Same Familiar Features
The new source editor includes the same familiar and important features that you enjoyed in the previous source editor. These include:
- Download template file
- Insert CMS token
- View or revert to a previous version of a file
Roles Page Tree
This release also brings you a faster and easier method for assigning custom roles to a page or group of pages. Previously, if you wanted to assign a specific role to a page, you had to first go to the manage roles page and create the role. You then had to go to each page that should be assigned to the role and assign it. This could be a time-consuming task.
With this release, you can create and assign custom roles to pages from one central location: the Manage Roles page. When you click the Add Role button, the Add Roles page is displayed and lets you enter a name and description for the new custom role. The Pages section of the screen displays a page tree similar to the page tree in the Page Manager.
Clicking a top level page displays all of the pages beneath that page in the tree. You can click the page again to collapse the view. By clicking the View and/or Edit options for the page you grant the role's permissions to that page and all pages beneath it in the tree. You can remove permissions from any page, by clicking the edit or view check mark. This lets you grant permissions to a parent page and all subordinate pages. You can then selectively remove permissions from a subordinate page by clicking the check mark. After you set permissions for the page, click the Update button to save the changes. Any user assigned that role then has the permissions to the page as defined by the role.
Look for these exciting new features on the morning of July 7. See the following release notes for what else to expect in this release.
2015.6 Release Notes
- The new source editor gives you an updated, user-friendly interface for editing design files directly on your site.
- The Roles page now gives you a page tree that lets you quickly assign custom roles to pages from a central location, rather than having to assign a role to each page individually.
- The following details are now copied during the copy website process:
- Element IsShareable property
- Show posts from other blogs settings
- Blog detail page template
Posted on Tue, July 7, 2015