Facebook Comments Integration and Magic Drop Expansion
We're excited to tell you about a couple of new features that went live today. First, we've added built-in support for Facebook Comments to our blog platform. Second, we've expanded the capabilities of our own Magic Drop technology, released last month. Take a look at all the details below!
Facebook Comments Integration
Now you can utilize Facebook's Comments plugin on your LightCMS blog with just a few clicks. Using Facebook Comments offers several benefits including the fact that comments left on your blog are shared back with your commenters' friends and followers. Previously, we published a tutorial on setting up Facebook Comments manually, but now support for Facebook Comments is built in and can be deployed by simply adjusting your blog element's settings.
To enable Facebook Comments, visit the settings for your blog element and click on the Advanced tab. Look for the "Facebook Comments" section. One required piece of information you will need is your Facebook User ID (or the User ID for anyone you want to be able to moderate comments). Finding your Facebook User ID can be a bit tricky. There are several ways to go about it, but here's a handy online tool that can help you find it quickly.
Enter your Facebook User ID and then check the box to "Use Facebook Comments." You'll be presented with a few other options you can set such as the width of the comments box, the number of posts to show, and the color scheme. You can also, optionally, enter a Facebook App ID if you create your own Facebook App to let you moderate all comments in a single location. For more information about Facebook Comments, you can check out Facebook's own documentation on this plugin.
Even More Magic with Magic Drop
Magic Drop is a new technology we announced about a month ago. Magic Drop lets you drag files from your computer and drop them directly onto your LightCMS website. LightCMS magically interprets your files and sets them up as the appropriate elements. At the time of launch, Magic Drop supported image files and zip files containing images. Now, we've expanded Magic Drop to work with many new file types. Here's an overview of everything Magic Drop can do.
- Image Files. Drop image files and LightCMS will create an image element. A single image file creates a single image. Multiple image files create a photo gallery containing all the images in slideshow mode.
- HTML, RTF, and TXT Files. Drop any of these file types and LightCMS will convert the content of your file to HTML (if needed) and load it into a text element.
- XML. Drop an XML file and LightCMS will interpret it as a blog import, creating a new blog element and filling it with posts and other content found in the XML document.
- Most Other Files. Drop most any other type of file (or multiple files) and LightCMS will create a Files and Links element containing the files you drop. File types include (but are not limited to): PDF, DOC, DOCX, PPT, WAV, XLS and most video files.
- ZIP Files. Drop a zip file and LightCMS will ask you if you want to create a Files and Links element or a Photo Gallery. If your zip file contains images, choose Photo Gallery. If it contains anything else, choose Files and Links.
All of these improvements are already live and running inside your LightCMS. We hope you enjoy using them as much as we enjoyed bringing them to you. As always, stay tuned because there's much more to come!
Posted on Thu, November 29, 2012
by Tim Wall filed under