LightCMS was one of the companies that pioneered the idea of Client Billing for a CMS, and our clients have loved it since the beginning. With Client Billing 2.0, there are some important changes coming, and we know you will love them as much as we do. These exciting changes bring you an entirely new way of billing your clients and collecting your money! Keep reading to learn more about what Client Billing 2.0 holds in store.
With the old Client Billing method, LightCMS billed you for your monthly base charges and also billed your clients for their monthly charges. You then requested your money from LightCMS. Say goodbye to this old method, and say hello to a simpler and more efficient billing method!
Some of the important differences you will see are:
- The customer invoice has your company information, and your business is listed on your client’s credit card charge.
- The processing fees are less.
- Billing is initiated on your behalf by LightCMS.
- There is no more “Money Pile”. Your money is paid directly to you by Stripe.
- LightCMS bills you only for your monthly base charges.
We think you’ll agree these make Client Billing even better!
Client Billing Release
The change to Client Billing will begin on February 3rd. This is the date that Client Billing 2.0 will be released. The Client Billing activation period also begins on this day and lasts until March 3rd. March 3rd is the date that Client Billing goes live. This gives you an entire month to activate Client Billing. However, we encourage you to activate Client Billing as soon as possible when it is released so you will be ready for the changeover when the new Client Billing goes live. For the period between Client Billing activation and Client Billing going live, the current Client Billing method will still be in place.
How to Activate Client Billing
When Client Billing 2.0 is released, the first thing you must do is activate it. Activation is a simple process where you give us information about your credit card, your company, and your Stripe account. To activate Client Billing, simply follow the Activate Client Billing button on the Partner Program page. This button takes you to the Activate Client Billing page. On this page, you will need to give us the following information:
- Credit Card Information - If we already have your credit card on file, the card information is automatically populated. For your security, only the last 4 digits of the card number are displayed. If we do not have a card on file for you, then you will enter it. If you need to change your credit card information, you can do that on the Account Information page.
- Company Information - Your company information will appear in the header area of the invoice that is generated and emailed to your customer. You can view a sample customer invoice by clicking the invoice image. The email address will be listed in the header and will be used as the reply to address on the email.
If you already have a Stripe account you can sign in to it, or if you don't have a stripe account, you can set up an account by completing the form. You will be asked to provide information about your business, personal information about yourself, details to display on your customer's credit card statements, and your banking information for Stripe to pay you.
The Customer Invoice
As we mentioned previously, LightCMS will bill you for your base monthly charges. We will also generate and transmit your client invoices and initiate billing of your clients, on your behalf. This is the way it has always been. However, now the invoices sent to your clients are branded with your company information, and no longer will they receive their charges from our generic WebsiteHostingBill.com. Client charges are processed using your Stripe account. This is especially beneficial to those of you who white label LightCMS. The resulting funds are paid directly to you by Stripe!
Here’s an example of an invoice that we will send to your clients:
Don't want to use Client Billing?
There is nothing that says you have to sign up for client billing 2.0, even though it is to your advantage to do so. However, it is important you understand there are some negative consequences if you don’t sign up.
So what is the downside to not signing up?
- You will no longer receive profit from LightCMS.
- If you have a valid credit card on file, your account will be converted to account billing. This means that you will be responsible for billing your clients. LightCMS will bill the credit card you have on file for your base monthly charges. You will then need to bill your clients outside of the LightCMS billing system.
- If you do not have a valid credit card on file, then LightCMS will take control of your client accounts. Each client will be set up with their own LightCMS account and they will be billed directly by LightCMS.
We would rather not take over your accounts, so please sign up as soon as possible.
Although we make every effort to verify the credit card we have on file for you, if you decide not to sign up for Client Billing 2.0, please take a moment to confirm that we have a valid credit card on file so we are not forced to take over your account.
If you have any questions regarding the changes to Client Billing and how it will effect you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Client Billing 2.0 FAQ's.
Posted on Tue, January 20, 2015